22 November 2009

15 Saddest Songs


I wrote this about a year ago, and I really like it.
Please leave any ideas about other sad songs.


15 Saddest Songs
because I enjoy spending many days depressing the shit out of myself.

15. Stop the Car!!! by Fire Flies
You know that feeling when you're so desperate that you feel like you're drowning in quicksand and only one person in the entire world can pull you out? This song beautifully captures this feeling with it's hopeless tune, metaphoric lyrics, and teary vocals.
I'm just a space man
Lost in the darkness
And the air's
Getting thin.


14. She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5
Despite the melancholy optimism in this love song, the melody, as well as the lyrics, always makes me tear up.
I don't mind spending every day
Out in your corner on the pouring rain.
Look for the girl with the broken smile,
Ask her if she wants to stay a while.


13. Listen to Your Heart by D.H.T.
This song touches the heart of anyone who's ever been in love and watched their feeling fade away.  A love song told in memories, it teaches the sad lesson that, no matter how hard it may be, you have to "listen to your heart".  Edmee's Unplugged Vocal Edit is the slowest and saddest remix of this song.
I know there's something in the wake of your smile.
I get a notion from the look in your eyes.
You've built a love, but that love falls apart.
That little bit of heaven turns to dark.


12. It Ends Tonight by The All American Rejects
Sometimes, things just have to come to an end.  When such a time comes, I always cry to the beat of the beautiful keyboards in this song.
And all the wants,
And all the needs,
Oh I don't want to need at all.


11. I've Got a Dark Alley and a Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song) by Fall Out Boy
I know that you, dear reader, hate FOB, but give this song a chance. Despite its deceiving title, this is an amazing break-up song that honestly portrays the hopeless desperation that trails the end of any relationship.
And the poets are just kids who didn't make it
And never had it at all
And the record won't stop skipping
And the lies just won't stop slipping

10. Love Makes the World Go Round by Ashlee Simpson
Before you give me shit for putting Ashlee Simpson on this list, listen to the first verse and the chorus.  Whenever my heart breaks, this song always makes sense, more than anything else.
Here, here I am again.
And I'm staring at these same four walls,
Alone again.
And now all the colors blend.


9. In the Deep by Bird York
This is the perfect song for when you realize something horrible.  It's like a sad euphoria.  The vocals are amazing, as are the lethargic lyrics. This song is featured in the sad and amazing movie Crash.
Thought you had all the answers
To rest your heart upon,
But something happens,
Don't see it coming,
You can't stop yourself.


8. The Chill of October by Client
The deep, dark orchestral part makes this the best song to listen to when you "cry the night away", especially if it's pouring outside your window.
Cry the night away,
Cry the night away,
Boy, I think it's over.


7. No Surprises by Radiohead
It sounds like a lullaby, but this is one sleep you won't wake up from.  An amazing, peaceful piece that honestly discusses a taboo subjects.  It is also the first of two songs on this list to mention suicide by carbon monoxide.  Note: Which other Radiohead songs would you recommend? They're really good when you listen to the lyrics, but the vocals make it difficult for that to come naturally.
A heart that's full up like a landfill,
a job that slowly kills you,
bruises that won't heal.


6. Stand in the Rain by Superchick
Another rainy day song, the lyrics build you up and make you strong, yet, 2:12 into the song, you can't help but break down as the vocalist strikes a high pitched minor chord.
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day, what’s lost can be found
You stand in the rain


5. Slow Motion by Third Eye Blind
A beautiful song with horrific imagery.  Once you're done crying, this song will have you thinking for days afterwards. Note: I read that the lead singer of this band lived in Palo Alto and went to Gunn.
Two loads of coke I cut with Dran-o.
And her nose starts to bleed
A most beautiful ruby red.


4. How to Save a Life by The Fray
Anyone who's ever lost a friend will tear up at the hopelessness of this song.  When it's too late, this song captures all the guilt, pain, and what-ifs that fill your mind.
Where did I go wrong?
I lost a friend.
Somewhere alone in the bitterness.
But I'd've stayed up with you all night.
Had I known how to save a life.


3. Photograph by Nickelback
Everyone can relate to this song about memories that passed.  Sometime in everyone's life, we have to say "goodbye" to the past.
Look at this photograph
Every time I do it makes me laugh:
How did our eyes get so red,
And what the hell is on Joey's head.


2. Any Other World by Mika
While generally Mika's songs tend to be happy, this exception bites.  It speaks the truth about the horrors of the world we live in.  It's true, sometime, we have to give up our dreams, hopes, and integrity, and we have to become one of the crowd.
Take a bow, play the part
Of a lonely, lonely world.
Say goodbye
to the world you thought you lived in.


1. War All the Time by Thursday
This song, like so many of Thursday's pieces, simply makes you want to die on the spot.  It speaks of the misery that we all suffer.  By the end of this song, you know that life truly sucks.  Note: All of Thursday’s songs are sad. Could you suggest any?
So we parked these cars
In parent's garage
Listened to the lullaby of carbon monoxide.
War all of the time
In the shadow of the New York skyline
We grew up too fast
Falling apart,
Like the ashes of American flags.


1 comment:

  1. How to save a life is SUCHHHHH A SAD SONNNGG...
    I enjoyed this blog quite a bit..I think I shall make my own!

    ReplyDelete