30 August 2009

My Hobby: Graphing Everything.


Including video games. Mostly because I'm curious and a visual person.
The graph is kinda small, so let me explain it. The game is Winterbells, one of my favorite games on the internet: http://www.ferryhalim.com/orisinal/g3/bells.htm

In this game, you are a bunny trying to catch as many bells as you can to the tune of beautiful winter-y music. Each bell is worth ten points more than the previous bell, so your total score looks like this: T=10 (1+2+...+n). I bet there's a better way to express that, but I am not mathematically talented, nor am I particularly mathematically knowledgeable, I'm just curious. Anyways, that's the pink line on the graph, showing a geometric progression (right? wrong?).

Well, every once in a while, there's a bird, and if you catch the bird, your score doubles, but then continues to increase as it did previously. I was curious how much the bird actually helped your score in the grand scheme of things, so I graphed this phenomenon. In the game, birds come along about every 20 bells, but that would be a crazy graph, so I decided to assume that the score is doubled after every five bells. That's the blue line. What a great visual!

Yeah, I'm a nerd. But it's interesting, and I'm very curious! Don't judge.

1 comment: